Kentucky firefighters rescue families from rising floodwaters

Published 6:04 am Wednesday, March 3, 2021

A week meant to warn residents of the dangers of flooding turned into a real-time rescue for Kentucky for first responders this week.

On the first day of Severe Weather Awareness Week, Jessamine County Emergency Management and first responders found themselves experiencing some of the worst flooding Jessamine County and the Bluegrass region had seen in a decade.

Gov. Andy Beshear issued a state of emergency declaration Monday for all of Kentucky, and as of late that day, 34 counties and cities had issued their own declarations. Swift-water rescues have been conducted in at least 42 counties.

On Tuesday morning, Jessamine County and Nicholasville firefighters were on their way to do a boat rescue of a family whose home at Camp Daniel Boone off Tates Creek Road was surrounded by water. Nicholasville Battalion Chief Danny Eades said one family member also had medical conditions.

The family was rescued without any injuries or issues, according to Battalion Chief John Shafer.

Shafer said firefighters were rescuing another family at Hunter’s Ferry just before 2 p.m.

Jessamine County Emergency Management Director Johnny Adams, who was also on his way to answer the call at Camp Daniel Boone, said that although there had been severe flooding, it was the first water rescue local firefighters had to do in Jessamine.

However, on Monday, Jessamine and Nicholasville firefighters were part of a Bluegrass Emergency Response Team effort that rescued 93 people from harm’s way around Clay City in Powell County.

Adams said that as part of the response to the stranded family in the Tates Creek Road area, first responders would also go house to house checking on people.

Jessamine firefighters helped rescue two horses from a vehicle in high water in Lincoln County Sunday night.

Monday night, Wilmore, Nicholasville and Jessamine County firefighters rescued two hikers in the Jessamine Creek Gorge area who had gotten lost and called 911 around 5:30 p.m.